Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tool # 11 Freely using my tools within the classroom

WOW! What a journey...each summer the district offers an online piece to learning more about technology and I am so thankful. I remember about 4 years ago with the rapid advancement of technology feeling panicked because I was being left behind with all the lingo and tools. Right about that time Library2Play started and I joined in.

This summer we not only get to "play" with tools, but we also get tools in return. I am looking forward to our new equipment and being able to adapt it to use in the classroom.

I am really excited about Storybird. I think often students get stuck with writing because they can't come up with an idea. Storybird provides pictures for them to write stories from and use their imagination. As we consume good examples of writing I would then like to turn the kids loose on the Storybird to have them create their own writing.

I am also interested in finding some experts to connect with us on Skype. I think by realizing that classroom walls are not limited to the cement blocks that sometimes hold us in, it will allow me to expand my view of how I connect my students to others. The hardest part for me is always to take a step back from being overwhelmed by EVERYTHING I could be doing/integrating with technology and just taking "small bites" at a time. Although I have not done it yet, I would like to come up with some sort of organized type of roadmap to list concepts to teach matched with technology available.

Thanks for another great summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the trip! Storybird seems to be a really popular tool for teachers. I can hardly wait to see some of the student products! I can so see lots of collaborative work done via Google Apps with other classrooms and then connecting via Skype to discuss the project, clarify points, etc. Looking forward to learning more from you this school year!