Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thing# 3skype

Skype has been a fast growing application with wide uses. In fact it saved me this summer when I was in Paris, France. I was able to use a friend's skype to call the states for less than the cost of a real phone call.

I have used a video conferencing unit to connect to many schools at one time, but I can see how skype can be used for quick connects with classrooms to discuss projects or information free of cost. I think the only negative side is if the computer does not have a microphone and web camera. It could however be set up as a center with specific tasks to be completed with certain connection points. I think an elementary student could easily be taught how to use the address phone to find the person to connect with and discuss their topic. I can even see how within the campus there could be a connection with grade levels without even leaving the classroom.

No comments: