Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tool #2 Building community :)

The blogging world can be very private if you want it to be, which then almost become a "scrapbook" in a way and underminds the concept of social networking. With building community by reading other blogs and commenting on other's posts we are engaging the community of learners/educators in tasks that we already preform on a daily basis. The difference with blogging is instead of making a passing comment to a colleague in the hallway on the way to pick up students up from health fitness, I now have to log into their blog, read the post and comment about their adventure. Thankfully this effort also has an advantage....for someone who has amazing ideas that I never see or talk to, they can now share the ideas and weeks, months, even a year later I can still see the idea.

I like adding the blogs I follow on my blog list. One advantage is I can see who has a new post OR when the last time was they posted. I can then choose to read who I want to read about. Check out the links of those I follow on the side.

Delicious social bookmarking was also something I had forgotten about in the first 23 things I completed. I was glad to go back and import my bookmarks to have with me anywhere on the world wide web!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said it so well - I am still learning from people's post of a year or two ago. Also, when someone tells me something is passing, that means I have to remember it! This way, it is there, I can return to it - just like a book!

I am not a delicious user, but I do know that Diigo offers teacher accounts. Then, they can create student users under theirs, so their students can see the wonderful sites as well!

Book Nook Girl said...

I agree with Karen - well said about the power of being able to go back and read blog posts from a year ago. I find myself doing this when I find a new blog I am interested in following!